To be eligible to apply for a role as a wholetime firefighter you must:
- Live in Leicester, Leicestershire or Rutland at the time of your application
- Be aged 18 years or older by the commencement of the wholetime firefighter training course
- Possess a full, valid UK, EEA or EU driving licence with no more than three penalty points
- Be prepared to undertake a basic criminal records check
- Be eligible to work in the UK.
There are certain qualities that make an effective firefighter. Take a moment to answer the following questions honestly:
- Are you genuinely interested in people and able to get on with people from different backgrounds and cultures?
- Are you committed to promoting the safety of your community?
- Do you enjoy working as part of a team?
- Could you work under pressure to support your colleagues?
- Can you think on your feet to solve problems, react flexibly and use your initiative?
- Would you be able to deal sensitively with members of the public in difficult and emotional situations?
- Would you be able to take the responsibility for representing a professional service?
- Are you committed to always maintaining and developing your skills?
- Do you enjoy working in a job where there is lots of change and improvements?
- Are you prepared to follow instructions from others?
- Are you prepared to work unsocial work patterns, which will include night shifts, weekend work, and public holidays?
- Are you dependable and can be relied on to do something?
- Are you prepared to commit around 85 days of your life to your initial training, with no time off for holidays?
- Are you prepared, at emergency incidents, to work for several hours in difficult conditions without a break?