Our recruitment process for On-Call firefighters will open on Thursday 2 January and will close on Wednesday 29 January.
On-Call Firefighter Have A Go Events
We have a number of upcoming On-Call Have A Go events. These events give you an insight into life as an On-Call firefighter, the opportunity to speak to current On-Call firefighters and find out more, and the chance to have a go at the seven job-related tests involved in the application process. Anyone is welcome to come to these Have A Go events, regardless of where you live.
Meet the Family
Meet some of our employees and find out what it means to them to be an On-Call firefighter at Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service.
What You Need To Know
To be eligible to apply for one of our On-Call firefighter roles you must meet the essential requirements below:
- You must live or work within four minutes of these stations, with the exception of Billesdon and Market Bosworth Fire and Rescue Stations, which are six minutes.
- Be aged 18 years or older by the commencement of the On-Call firefighter training course.
- Possess a full, valid UK, EEA or EU driving licence.
- Be prepared to undertake a Disclosure Scotland Basic Check.
- Be eligible to work in the UK.
- Possess a Level Two qualification in English Language and Maths such as grades A-C GCSE or GCE O Level, Grade One CSE or OCR Level Two or, alternatively, you must have successfully completed our literacy and numeracy test.
There are also a number of downloadable documents with more in depth information to help assist you throughout the recruitment process:
Further information can also be found on by visiting the following website, funded by the National Fire Chiefs Council:
The Seven Job Related Tests
The role of a modern day firefighter is varied and can be physically demanding. Working, sometimes in extreme environmental conditions, for long periods of time, while using heavy equipment, means that a good level of aerobic fitness and good all round strength is required. As a result of this, there are a number of Job Related Tests in the recruitment process that all applicants will be required to complete successfully. All seven Job Related Tests and how you will be required to do them can be seen below:
Test of Manual Dexterity
Equipment Carrying Exercise
Ladder Climbing Exercise
Ladder Extension Exercise
Stimulated Ladder Lift Exercise
Casualty Evacuation Exercise
Enclosed Space Simulation
Our On-Call Fire and Rescue Stations
Our recruitment website opens for On-Call firefighter applications on Thursday 2 January 2020. Keep an eye on this page and our Facebook and Twitter feeds for notification on the On-Call firefighter recruitment process.
Disclaimer: all personal information sent to us via email@example.com is sent over the internet in plain text and is done so entirely at your own risk. There is a possibility of emails being intercepted and read by a third party. If you are uncomfortable with this, please contact us securely via our encrypted online form.