If you own or run premises which are used for sleeping accommodation, you should devote time to ensuring that you have a suitable and sufficient fire risk assessment.

This will identify what you need to do to reduce the risk of a fire occurring and keep your residents safe. All privately rented property should have smoke alarms fitted. As an owner or landlord, you could be fined if your properties are found not to have smoke detectors fitted on inspection. For further information, please contact your local authority.

Fire Risk Assessment

You should keep a written record of your fire risk assessment and any significant findings. It should also be reviewed regularly, especially if any changes to the premises are made. You should focus on reducing the risk of a fire starting in the first place and minimising the risk to people by restricting the spread of fire and smoke and ensuring that escape routes are kept clear of hazards. You need to have an evacuation policy and emergency plan for dealing with any fire situation, and it should be based on the outcome of your fire risk assessment. The purpose of an emergency plan is to ensure that people know what to do if there is a fire and that the premises can be evacuated safely.

The guide below contain further relevant information and will assist you in ensuring that you identify the hazards relevant to your premises and to comply with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. Use of the appropriate guide will depend on the age and design of the building i.e. a conversion, pre-1991 or purpose built. The Fire Risk Assessment Guide for Flats and Houses in Multiple Occupation can be viewed here and contains further relevant information.

The pro formas here are intended to be used as guides for carrying out a fire risk assessment. Should you adopt one of these for your business premises, then it is important that the content captures any unique aspects of the premises’ design, as well as how the building is actually used.

If you want more information on fire risk assessments, fire extinguishers and risk information boxes click here.

Other Guidance

Your local authority Private Sector Housing department may have additional information and guidance to assist you. To find your local authority, type in your postcode at www.talktoreg.co.uk. For further guidance on your responsibilities as an employer, owner or landlord, please see:

If you’re a student living in rented accommodation, please open the document below:

Case Studies

We want to assist in any way we can. Click on the document below to see how we work with owners, landlords or managing agents to ensure the safety of your tenants.

Further Advice

If you would like further information or advice, please click here or Contact Us.